Monday, August 3, 2009

Playing Possum


Maxwell's Playing Possum on Black Summer's Night:


Come back from the dead
You left my, my heart here
Say what you will and won't forget
Express disappointment, speak your regrets, yeah
Or baby call out my name, I'll be where you are
I'll be very still, step down to my heart

Amend this broken
If only you'd wake up from your constant possum playing
If only you'd wake up

I'm begging you sugar, have some leniency
Call the President and ask him baby, to pardon me and bring you
back to me
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oooooh

And mend this broken
If only you'd quit this nonsense of you possum playing
If only you'd wake up, would you wake up, would you wake up baby


I used to love musicians. On a private level I'd daydream of them writing songs for me.. not telling me until I heard them perform a set somewhere added to the fantasy of it all. There's an intimacy in real song writing. I'd like to think that lyrics come from the depths of the mind revealing secrets not always shared between two people. There's just something about it, secrets about you being sang from the lips of a lover over the mesmerizing sounds of an instrument. Those lyrics sang on stage in front of a room of people, unraveling thoughts, unearthed secrets, storytelling about you and him so intimate its like you're making love in front of them. So uncomfortable, so sexy, so labyrinthine, so thick all at once.
I guess it felt like it authenticated something...a song about you...that someone finally saw you were something else, different.. off enough from the monotony that you inspired thoughts worthy of becoming a song to share.

Like a possum I've played dead for years. For fear of feeling too much. Of letting in the wave. The wave of love with its changing tides. To feel normal I've felt like I needed the waters to be still. If, in a song, he told me to wake up, would I be hypnotized to wake up, mesmerized by the combination of his voice, his words, and the sounds of the band of instruments? Or would I fall paralyzed to his honesty? Would I be knocked over by the tidal wave, floudering and blind in the exotic water? Would I drown...


The Wading Room no.8





I sit thinking, what if someone wrote a song about you and you never knew it?





xo ac



p.s.
Playing Possum
and
Baby I'm a Fool

..Melody Gardot. I went to school with her. And she made it. She's striking. I think we should collaborate...and sometimes I want to be a singer.

a final xo.
AC

No comments:

Post a Comment