Monday, July 27, 2009

Dear Juliet, will you marry me?

I was walking in West Philadelphia last week when I heard my name called out. I turned to find one of my most admired BFF crushes, Juliet Wayne, screwdriver-filled McDonald's mug in hand. We have been acquaintances for years and have a great appreciation for each other's artwork. Every time we cross paths, we vow to make portraits of one another. The time is now!


Anyway, we talked for a while about portraiture and how people are sometimes bothered that what is intended as a portrait of the sitter more closely resembles the artist. Bullshit, we say! Why wouldn't it look like the artist? When is art ever really about anything else? In this case, though, I am going to try to make a portrait of her, and her new M.O. - she's "just not taking it anymore." The part that seems simplest to explain is having a job in order to make money. She's so over that. Now she's trash-picking items to sell at yard sales, supplemented by tarot card readings and Otter Pop sales. My favorite part of her explaining this newfound philosophy -- "So today I felt hungry and I was thinking 'what am I going to eat?' and then I said 'no, Juliet, it's not gonna be like that anymore!'" So, so good.

I have always been envious of Juliet's work. Video, paintings, drawings, collage, puppets, storytelling... and that's not even half of it. If you're my friend on facebook, become hers - there's a bunch of photos of her art. And she has the funniest status updates ever. If you're not my friend on facebook, you should be, just so she can make you laugh. Oh, and her next project? A board game that combines Memory and fortune telling... I can't wait. I'm going to try to track her down to see if she has a website I can post a link to, but in the meantime, her's a little drawing about working at the art museum that I stole from her profile:


No comments:

Post a Comment