Monday, July 6, 2009

Hey Pretty. Don't you wanna take a ride with me?

How you doin' Da? Thanks for the unbelievable intro luv.
Darla's work is ambitious and creepy.
With her little created scenarios, I find myself wanting to know, "what happened here?" and wanting to hug vulnerable baby animals as their parents lie dead in front of them. The creepier Da's work, the better. As her studiomate I want to be disturbed when I walk into our studio...

Okay weird cyber world.. I am, very hesitantly and officially, a BLOGGER. ew. Sorry to all you intense and awesome bloggers out there. But you may slowly but surely come to know that I am freaked out by computers and my fellow associates had to very gently devirginize me (how they doin'?) as one who blogs. Actually, I really feel like I cannot call it blogging. I'm just going to have to list things that I like right now, combine it with the word blog and go from there..

Things I like as of 7/3:
The Piazza
TOW
skirts
summer boots
outdoor drinking
Patron

Okay, since summer bootlogging sounds bad, I shall call my weekly words...patronogging. Hopefully as the summer progresses I will be drinking Patron while blogging. I mean patronogging.

Laura Graham and I went to The New Museum on 6/25 and caught the Younger Than Jesus Exhibit.
I think she will agree with me that the best thing there was the OMG obelisk. It was very witty and of-the-times and ominous and sad. Because, OMFG what is going on anyway? I also loved the piece done by a Japanese artist who bought everything off the bodies of three young people in Japan and displayed each person's belongings on three tabletops. It was simple and complex all at once, a very interesting glimpse into the lives of three young people. How similar we all are, the things we carry, the clothes we wear. There was also an Asian artist who had female volunteers sleep in a big white bed in the middle of a gallery space with the assistance of sleeping pills during gallery hours. I connected with this piece. It was weird and voyeuristic and the fact that all sleeping beauties were female was poignant. Tracey Emin-esque. Also, I am an insomniac so it clicked with something in my head.
I loved the "Myspace introductions" piece by an artist my age. I think it's important to talk about the shit that has blasted into our lives in the last couple years like wildfire. Like Social networking sites.. how off they can feel.
There was a lot to see. A lot of interesting things and it was really something that all the artists were so young. Some of it I didn't connect with immediately but I got the direction of the show. Weird, technological, 80s, hip hop, apocalyptic, confused, sad, bizarre, youtubed, myspacefacebooktwittered, tired, lost, wet, nostalgic, hopeful, drained, young, energetic, bombarded people making things about the times and the past...

Also that day strolling through Manhattan I was texted by my best friend from NC that Michael Jackson died. Immediately afterwards the streets of NYC were filled with passing words said on cell phones about the loss.
It is the end of an era. And his death brought out a strange unity among people in Philadelphia. Dance parties and sing alongs. And me singing P.Y.T. and Dirty Diana in my car (affectionately known as Star Jones) the loudest and most passionately I have ever sang them. I fucking love Michael. My family does. And everyone's rediscovered and renewed appreciation for his banging soulful music now is honestly really awesome.

It needs to be explored in more detail by an introspective eloquent writer the symbolism of MJ's death to people of my generation and the one before in the current times. I can't put it into words but I can see and feel it.

I believe that is all for now. Please check out Summer In The City at Projects Gallery on N. 2nd Street and see my piece "Holla atcha Girl" among other cool works.

You can read an opinion of it at www.colored-thread.blogspot.com.
^(Thank you so much for the words! Really awesome)

Alright lovers. Until next week, I bid you adieu. XO AC

No comments:

Post a Comment