Thursday, January 21, 2010

Girl-crushery

From UrbanDictionary.com:

girl crush: feelings of admiration and adoration which a girl has for another girl, without wanting to shag said girl. a nonsexual attraction, usually based on veneration at some level.

I suppose everyone has their girl crushes, sometimes one each for various aspects of life, ie music, fashion, art, overall life...

My current art girl crush is Melissa Dixson, a New York City taxidermist. I first saw Melissa's taxidermy on Etsy and then again later, when I saw her blog while google searching for images of taxidermy. I obsessively read her blog as far back as my brain could stand.

My reasoning for girl crushery is first, who doesn't love a girl who does taxidermy? Thats so bad-ass. I love taxidermy, collect skulls, sculpt dead animals and I have a deerhead hanging in my kitchen that looks at me while I eat oatmeal...but could I actually do the deed of cutting into an animal and stuffing him(or her) back to life? Probably not, as I am a bit wussish about guts and whatnot. That doesn't stop me from taking photos every time I see a dead bird or hanging out in the Wagner Institute drawing the oldest crustiest taxidermy I think I've ever seen, but it does makes me respect/jealous of someone who isn't a animal guts wuss like myself.

Secondly, she seems to have great taste based on the random art and style bits that end up on her blog.

Thirdly, she seems nice...she doesn't just go out and slaughter animals for the stuffing. She makes sure she gets each one in a sustainable way.

Finally, she did a taxidermied fawn as Bambi, which was especially appealing, given my Bambi obsession of early last year, which hasn't really gone away...(Case in point - I am using Flower (the skunk) as the "model" for the skunk piece I'm currently working on....Justin says I can't use an animation as a model. I say he can kiss my bootie, I'm doin' it.)

Anyway, all this talk makes me curious to know who the other ladies girl crushes are..(Aub, I know a few of yours!) La, Aub, Laura...spill yo' girl crush beans!



No comments:

Post a Comment